Tuesday, May 31, 2016

LONG LIST OF BOOKS & SHORT LIST OF BOOKS FOR CHRISTIAN GROWTH

May, 2016

This is simple an attempt to explain what I have done and offer suggestions for reading.

1.  Bible - read every day; memorize as much as possible;
Seeing this is my own attempt to explain what I have done, this is simply my report.
At the age of 15 years old, my dad was pastor of the church and challenged us to read our Bibles through in a year.  There was a track that led you through for 365 days a year.  I took that challenge and read through for the first time.  When I graduated high school in 1986 my parents bought me a Thompson Chain Reference Bible (KJV, of course) and I began to record when I read each year. 
After reading about George Whitefield and other saints that had read their bible through over 100 times in their life time, I realized I would have to double up in my readings.  In 2002 I read through twice and have done so every year since except 2003. 

also, I read where, I believe, it was Charles Finney and others read their bible on their knees.  Humble, disciplined and before the Lord to speak to them through the Word.  I took up this practice as well.  I have concluded reading through 42 times thus far and will continue.  I have also done numerous word and phrase studies which is also recorded in my blogs and bibles. 

2.  Short List - coming through my pilgrimage there has been a repeated occasion of reading certain books.  There are to me 4 absolute needful books to be read and studied by every Christian:
1.  Life and Diary of David Brainerd - this also includes his journal; 
2.  Pilgrim's  Progress by John Bunyan;
3.  Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe;
4.  In His Steps by Charles Sheldon;

3.  Long List
This I do not believe could be all of them, but I will attempt to name as any as I can.  Each of these are found in relationship to revival, history of revival, biographies of saints, prayer and Christian growth and maturity.  I am only listing the ones that I have read and simply make a suggestion and recommendation for others that may be interested.

Biographies:
Life and Diary of David Brainerd;
Praying John Hyde;
Hudson Taylor;
Autobiography of George Mueller;
Life of John Knox;
Life of Jonathan Edwards;
Beyond the Ranges by J O Fraser



Revival

Fair Sunshine by Jock Purves
Why Revival Tarries by Leonard Ravenhill;
Revival Lectures by Charles Finney;
The Journal of John Sung;
By My Spirit by JOnathan Goforth;
The Awakening by Marie Monsen
A Present Help by Marie Monsen
How the Spirit Filled My Life by Bertha Smith
The Shantung Revival by C L Culpepper

Prayer

Ablaze for God by Wesley Duewel;
How I know God answers Prayer - Mrs. Jonathan Goforth
Touch the World through Prayer- Wesley Duewel

Christian Growth & Maturity

The Holiest of All by Andrew Murray - study of Hebrews;
Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall;
Looking Unto Jesus by Isaac Ambrose;
God's Best Secrets by Andrew Murray;
In Pursuit of God by AW Tozer;
The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
They Found the Secret by Edman


Devotionals

Morning & Evening by Charles Spurgeon
Renewed Day by Day - AW Tozer
Robert Murray McCheyne
Excerpts from Christian in Complete Armour by William Gurnall
Mornings With Jesus - Rev. William Jay
God's Best Secrets by Andrew Murray


Started:  May 31, 2016

Continued:  6/2; 6/3;

Finished:

No comments:

Post a Comment